Featured Cosplayer: Lei Megumi Ishikawa


Cosplay conventions showcase not only beautiful costumes but also their gorgeous wearers. Indeed attractive and fine-looking cosplayers are staple part of every convention. But every so often we see cosplayers so stunning they outshine even the flashiest costumes. Our featured cosplayer certainly ranks among these elites. 


Meet Lei Megumi Ishikawa. With looks and appeal that rival those of proclaimed cosplay goddesses, Lei has been making buzz on the cosplay scene.

Lei is what one may call a genuine otaku. She's been a fan of anime ever since she can remember. She can even sing the themes of some of her favorite anime including Fushigi Yuugi, Gensoumaden Saiyuki, Ah! My Goddess, Naruto, Dragon Ball series, Flame of Recca and many more. Currently she enjoys Fairy Tail the most.

Let’s get to know more about Lei through this short interview.

How did you become interested in cosplay?

I’ve been wanting to join cosplay back when I was still in college but  I could not find time to do so because of my hectic schedule. When I graduated, I had a chance to attend conventions but only once in a while. It was in 2010 when I finally had a chance to put serious effort into cosplay.

What motivates you to cosplay?

I’ve always believed that life is too precious to spend on things that you don’t enjoy or activities that does not add value to you as a person. When I discovered cosplay, I knew then this is something that could give me the exhilaration I’ve always sought for. More than the fine-looking costumes, I think it’s the exciting experience that gets me engaged and pulls me towards it.


What costumes have you worn so far and what made you choose those costumes?

So far I have worn
Bow Master from the MMORPG Lineage 2
Rider of Fate Stay Night and
Asuka Watarai of Under the Innocent Sky
Aburane Shino of Naruto Shippuden
Erza Scarlet of Fairy Tail

Every character I play has to have a reason. It can‘t be just any random costume. Not because something is popular, looks good or has potential to win competitions that’s the one I'm gonna choose. I don’t think that’s how costumes should be selected; otherwise it won’t be any different from picking arbitrary ready-to-wear costumes on kid’s birthday parties.

Whenever I choose costumes I always make sure I can relate to the character. It is very important for me to understand the personality of the character so I can give justice to the portrayal.


The Bow Master from Lineage 2 is my attempt to unite beauty and tenacity. Bow Master is both gorgeous and dangerous. Two characters which are thrilling to combine. It is the character that excites me the most.

Rider on the other hand is my attempt to illustrate my belief that women should be empowered. Rider has such as strong personality, independent and persistent. Qualities which I believe modern women should have.


When I chose Asuka Watarai, I wanted to play a character that is girly and fun-loving. With Shino, I wanted to be diverse and edgy by playing a male character. It helps that Shino is also silent and guarded which are also some of my personalities.




Describe your life outside cosplay.

When I’m not cosplaying I’m busy with my day job as a freelance Web/Graphic Designer and MMORPG Game Master. My line of work requires a lot of technical proficiency coupled with creativity. It is far from what I studied in college but its something that I really enjoy doing. 

On side note, I also enjoy collecting old currencies, coins and other stuffs. Yes I’m not only an otaku but also a numismatist.


Tell us something that you love and hate

I love people who do cosplay for the proper reasons. I just want to see people actually enjoying themselves. Cosplay is made for fun and self-expression. Any other positive things that emanate from it are just bonuses.

On the other hand, nothing infuriates me more than to see narcissistic individuals taking advantage of cosplay events to push their egotistical agenda. If people want to become celebrities, they should audition to television networks and just leave cosplay to those with real passion.

Messages to fans and fellow cosplayers

To all my fellow cosplayers and those who are planning to join the hobby, just keep in mind that cosplay is all about passion. It is not just a place to show off your costumes just like what is wrongfully advertise nowadays. Real success in the cosplay comes from the unquantifiable happiness that you get from it. Just enjoy portraying your favorite characters, enjoy it with your friends and most importantly be sure to enjoy yourself. 

Lei Megumi Ishikawa as Bow Master from Lineage 2 (MMORPG)
Lei Megumi Ishikawa as Rider from Fate Stay Night



Lei Megumi Ishikawa as Erza Scarlet of Fairy Tail

Lei Megumi Ishikawa as Asuka Watarai from Under the Innocent Sky
Lei Megumi Ishikawa as Bow Master from Lineage 2 (MMORPG)
Lei Megumi Ishikawa as Aburame Shino from Naruto Shippuden

Lei Megumi Ishikawa is a perplexing paradox in the cosplay world. She seeks no attention but gets loads of it and often ends up in the middle of frantic photographers and engrossed fans whenever she shows up on events.

Her immaculate charm, irrefutable selflessness and first-rate demeanor make a good component for a genuine cosplay goddess; one that people would justly recognize as such and not just over-hyped by the enterprising media. 


You can follow Lei Megumi Ishikawa at her official Facebook account.



CosplayTips.com