How to Use Contour and Highlight to Sculpt the Face

Contouring is a technique that can be used not just to bring out the cheek bones but to sculpt the whole face. The basis of contouring is that dark colours appear to recede where as lightening an area brings it forward so you can shade the face to give it more depth.


As simple as it seems a lot of people struggle with contouring, highlighting and blush so I thought I would share this excellent tutorial from Smashbox with you to help give those that haven't contoured before a better understanding of how to achieve the look.


Back when I was in makeup school I found it hard knowing where to place the colour, it always just looked wrong or very 80's rather than subtly enhancing the natural beauty of the face. The more faces I did though the better understanding I got of the structure of the face and you will soon find the technique comes naturally and is a lot easier to master with practice.





One of my favourite YouTube artists Pixiwoo shows how she uses contouring in her video on her daily makeup routine. At about 7mins in you will see her contouring and how flattering it can be so give it ago!


Credit: Alex, "How to Use Contour and Highlight to Sculpt the Face[online] available at http://whattheprosdo.blogspot.com

CosplayTips.com